Historically, PTB-3 was available in two different flavors, but only one flavor - beta - matters nowadays:
- beta/current: This is what all users should use! The beta (aka current) branch provides the latest and greatest features, performance enhancements and bug fixes. These features have been successfully tested by the developers on their system configurations and should be reasonably safe for real world use and testing. However, there may be bugs that didn't show up in our setups, and we only have very limited resources for testing, so new stuff needs to be exposed to real world use on many different hardware configurations. We rely on you for testing of new features and for feedback about problems or bugs.
- unsupported: This flavor was formerly known under the very misleading name "stable" and is now officially declared dead. You should avoid "unsupported" unless you really know what you are doing and just love trouble or archeology. "unsupported" doesn't work on Matlab V7.4 (R2007a) and later on Microsoft Windows! It has not been updated for many years and we have no intention of ever fixing any of the bugs and shortcomings in it, nor will we provide you with any support or help if you are foolish enough to still use it. This flavor is only available in Psychtoolbox versions older than 3.0.10. See below for descriptions of such versions.
Before we apply potentially disruptive changes to beta, we release a new version of Psychtoolbox, named Psychtoolbox-x.y.z with x.y.z being the version number. An example of such a disruptive change would be discontinuation of support for an operating system, Matlab version or computer hardware platform. We recommend sticking to the default beta flavor unless you have good reason not to do so.
The Psychtoolbox-3 version is a three digit number, e.g. 3.0.11. The first digit is always 3. We bump the second or third digit only for major releases, but these happen only periodically. Usually we only update the beta branch of PTB for the purpose of introducing single bug fixes, new features or incremental improvements. Thus the beta branch varies continuously, and the incremental updates are differentiated by their SVN revision number. Executing the command PsychtoolboxVersion should return the version number, flavor and revision number of your current Psychtoolbox. The command also prints a weblink which points you to the online weblog where you can read in detail what has changed between different revisions.
The following releases of old Psychtoolbox versions are available. We highly recommend avoiding any versions of the OpenGL toolbox with version numbers earlier than this. There were some unfortunately numbered versions 1.0.x released earlier in the development of PTB-3, but this numbering caused so much confusion with respect to PTB Version 2 that we have now abandoned that system.
- For download of these old versions, use the DownloadPsychtoolbox function:
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.10 A snapshot of the code as of May 2013: This is the final 3.0.10 release before start of the 3.0.11 series. It is the last version that supports 32-Bit Matlab on Apple OSX. It is also the last version to support Apple OSX versions 10.4 "Tiger" and 10.5 "Leopard". Finally, it is the last version to support Apple Quicktime on 32-Bit Matlab for OSX.
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.11-PreWinGStreamer A snapshot of the code as of early September 2013, corresponding to ptb beta "Stadtmusikanten". This is the last version that supports use of the OSSBuilds GStreamer runtime on 32-Bit Matlab for MS-Windows. Future versions require use of the GStreamer SDK for MS-Windows with both 32-Bit and 64-Bit Matlab.
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.11 A snapshot of the code as of 6th April 2014, corresponding to ptb beta "Goto fail". This is the last version that officially supports Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Apple OSX 10.6, Apple OSX 10.7 and Apple OSX 10.8.
- For download of these very old legacy versions, use the DownloadLegacyPsychtoolbox function:
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.9 A snapshot of the code as of May 2012: This is the final 3.0.9 release before start of the 3.0.10 series. It is the last version that supports Matlab versions older than V7.4 aka R2007a. It is also the last version to support Apple PowerPC hardware. Support for Apple's Quicktime will be also phased out after this version, in favor of the much more modern, free and open-source cross-platform GStreamer multimedia framework, which will take over Quicktime's duties.
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.8 A snapshot of the code as of April 2011: This is the final 3.0.8 release before start of the 3.0.9 series with its new "mostly MIT" license model.
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.8-PreMatlab6.5 A snapshot of the code as of end 2010: This is the last release that worked with Matlab versions before V6.5.
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.8-PreTiger A snapshot of the code as of 18th february 2009: This is the last release that is (assumed, not tested!) to work properly in most parts on MacOS/X versions prior to 10.4 "Tiger", i.e., 10.3 Panther and earlier. It is also the last release with support for GNU/Octave versions prior to 3.2.0 on Mac OS and Linux.
- Psychtoolbox-3.0.7 A snapshot of the code as of Friday, October 6th, 2006: Adds basic and limited support for movie playback on OSX via Quicktime, some performance enhancements to the drawing functions and a few bug fixes. See the 3.0.7 release notes for more details.